Trade unions are the associations which are basically for protecting the employees and ensure good working conditions. The functions of Trade union does not stop with the above said activities. It also extends its role o a greater extent. The functions of trade unions can be elaborated in the below said points:
Protective functions are such basic functions conducts by an union to protect the employees and ensure basic requirements of them. It includes Hike in wages, ensuring more benefits, secured job etc.. One of the main tools used by trade unions to achieve the above said functions is Collective bargaining. Other tools includes strikes gheraos etc..
Apart from the above said basic functions trade unions also provide external functions both financially and non-financially. The external functions are as follows: Financial assistant during strikes and lockouts, Medical facilities during slackness and causalities, education to the children of employees social and religious benefits etc..
To become more strong, unions affiliates them self with political parties. It assist the political parties in form of getting members for enrollment in the party, collecting donations for the party etc. and take the assistance of political party during strikes and lockouts etc..
Te functions of trade unions does not limited only within the organization or for the employees alone. It also takes part in social gatherings and ritual celebrations etc. It also discharges the social responsibilities like educating the consumers and customers, Publication of periodicals, welfare activities, Research etc..
The above discussed functions can be termed as major functions.
Apart from this trade unions also perform certain functions like:
• Protect and advance terms and conditions of employment of its members.
• Improve the status of employees within the organization
• Promote socio and economic interest of the employees
• Negotiation through collective bargaining.
The NLC ( National Labour commission ) listed the primary functions of trade unions as under:
• Fair wages to workers
• Protecting tenure and promote working condition of labors
• Expanding opportunity to promote training
• Offering educational, cultural and recreational facilities to the employees
• Protecting individual as well as collective welfare
• Facilitates technological advancement in the organization by the way of educating the workers.